Astec?

Has anyone used this product? Why/Why not?

Astec is an acrylic with ceramic additives that reflect the sun and therefore create a cool roof coating. It is a coating. Despite their claims they do not do a very good job as a roof system. It is primarily a maintanence system. They treat the laps and joints on a roof with a polyester fabric and then spray a primer and two coats of their topcoat. If ideal conditions were in place and allowed to cure properly it will be sufficient to add additional protection to an existing roof system that is not currently leaking. Their warranty isnt all they say it is either. They pushed off one of my clients for over two rainy seasons before going out and making repairs. All the while leaking and peeling. They sprayed their system directly over a severely deflected pitch and gravel roof that was only swept off and warranteed the application. Yikes. For all the same benefits and If you have a system that is leaking, and you like fluid applied roof systems the I would highly recommend Hydro-Stop Premium Coat System. It is a fully reinforced fluid applied system that is approved as a class 1 roof all by itself. I

I have never used hydro stop, but I have used acrylics, and no longer install them for anything other than a reflective coating…too many failures, and free fixes from the material getting wet too much, as on a rooftop.

What type(s) of failures?
Have you used ASTEC? I’m curious because I’m being approached to become an exclusive installer of this roofing. I’d like to have as much info as possible so that I can make an informed decision.

Ill send you pics of an Astec roof. I need your email. It is the project i spoke of earlier. My advice is this. Try it first. Build a mock up roof and apply the system. then flood it and let water sit on it for a week or so ( if it lasts that long). Most acrylics will revert back to liquid after a few days under water. A very few can hold it indefinately. As with any roof system ponding will reduce the life of your system in those areas. I know from on site experience that Astec Systems have fundamental design application shortcomings that have resulted in complete system failure. My pics are of one such project. The roof was replaced with another “acrylic system” that did not fail. The client recognized the benefit of a sustainable roof system and opted to take another chance on an acrylic roof system.

rooferdude1974@yahoo.com is my email for the pictures.
Thank you.
What was the other product used to replace the ASTEC? Why did it outperform?

By the way what area are you in?

I used Astec once in the early 90’s…it failed.

It is an acrylic…they do not hold water out very well since water breaks them down. Find a polyurea contractor if you want a waterproofing membrane seamlessly applied.

This seems more like installer error than product failure. ASTEC isn’t meant for pitched roofs, right?

It can be applied to pitched roofs. Bottom line is this, They make claims to be a waterproofing product. They arent. They have some capability but in most real world low slope situations / site conditions, they will fail. They are not much more than a glorified Paint. If that is what you want to use it for then you will have more successes with it. If you try to use it as a roof or to stop leaks, you will have problems sooner or Later.

I believe we are all trying to further our industry by offering the best possible products and services to our clients while trying hard to squeek a few dollars into our pockets. Right?

I think Astec falls short of this goal. It doesnt live up to its claims as a product, which will ultimately cost you money and possibly some credibility. ( in my humble opinion).

All of my fluid applied…waterproofing is done in ployurea, and reflectivity is achieved with acrylic… You really cannot beat this system I have.

pitch lasts 50 yrs!!! :smiley:

If you keep it in your garage wrapped up in plastic. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I have torn off 80 year old pitch roofs still functioning.

i dont need plastic ive got 2 forty ft tankers full of it!!!

While ASTEC is not a panacea, when applied correctly to the appropriate roof it saves customers tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in replacement costs. Additionally, ASTEC results in a watertight, reflective roof surface that is both sustainable and renewable. There are few roof system manufacturers that can make that kind of claim consistently for over 20 years.
Yes- this post is from ICC the manufacturer of ASTEC, but with over 300,000,000 square feet of successful application, we must be doing something right!
To get the full story on the what and why’s of ASTEC please visit our web site icc.astec.com or call us at 800-223-8494

i am coughing a phrase…ant guesses what it is ?

Why, oh why would we spec an acrylic at 27 mil w/3G/sq that absorbs water for roofing when I can install a 48 mil VAPOR BARRIER membrane in polyurea for about the same price? My membrane will be many times tougher, tear resistant, will not chip, flake, chalk, or peel?

Can you tell me one reason why I would opt for acrylics that have proven themselves failures for waterproofing?

I like them for reflectivity, but NEVER for waterproofing.

As a proponent of many types of Fluid applied products, including Polurea and acrylics, I have seen just as many botched up polyurea jobs as I have acrylics. Just as I have seen many more botched up shingle jobs, and BUR jobs and Single ply jobs. Failed roofs keep me in business as it does most of you. Just as there are a lot of hack contractors, there are also hack manufacturers. I wont name names but they can be seen on the shelves of your home improvement stores and in the back of your local hack contractors trucks.

I have seen how an Acrylic roof system has taken over the larger majority of Reroof projects in State , Military and Private sector in the state of Hawaii and Guam and Puerto Rico and is a 200 million dollar market in Southern CA. ( a market held by just a few contractors by the way) It couldnt have done so if it were a doomed system from the beginning.
Nor could it have done so if it were more expensive than a far superior system.
It is my opinion that fluid applieds will become the dominant roof system of choice in the next two decades due mostly to sustainability. Due largely to its versatility and its long term value as the only truly sustainable roof. At 45 mils. - 60 mils

I like the subject of sustainability.

How much polyurea do you run across?

It seems to counter logic that a company makingthe investment in the equipment for polyurea would go through the trouble just to botch things up. But what do I know?