Are shingles most vulnerable when they are new

Are shingles most vulnerable when they are new? Is there a curing process or anything. The reason I ask is I scarred a shingle today by putting some downward pressure on it. It is extremely hot today. I went over to my old shingles and tried the same thing and it didn’t do any damage.

When they are hot then yes they can become damaged. We replace these if this happens. Send a pic so i can see but im pretty sure what you did. If you scared the shingle then replace, lost granduals that is.

I replaced the one I scarred. Do this shingles get stronger? My old roof doesn’t scar that easy and it is the same temp right now. I was wondering if there is a curing process or something.

Bread - I believe you probably have gained enough knowledge to go into the roofing business for yourself with all the questions youve asked:)

Rock on!

Shinglehitter< I was going to say the exact same thing, only I was going to make a new thread about it. I’ll let you have it though.

Bread knows more than most of the roofers on this site!!!

i know what your talkin about bread,
and its either the old tar, that holds the granauls
on the old shingles, is harder from curing for years.

it may be that shingles made 20 yrs ago were made with
different tar altogether.

do new shingles of today scar easier than new shingles
of 1985?
thats the question.
ide have to say they scared as easy back then as they do now.

gweedo.

id say the old shingles have dried and hardened over the years.

Hi,

Yes they will scuff easier in the begining. The oils are soft and fresher.

Set out in the sun and it will crust over[lack of a better word].

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Yes they will scuff easier in the begining. The oils are soft and fresher.

Set out in the sun and it will crust over[lack of a better word].[/quote]

did we actually just agree on something? :slight_smile:

if your old shingles were still soft and flexible you would not need to replace them. the reason they are dry and cracked is the oils have flashed off over time. the shingles can not contract and expand they crack you get a leak. hose down the roof your underwear will be wet but at the end of the day you wont be swapping out shingles. :wink:

smarty pants.

lefty,
marshall,
hoss.