Anynoe that wonders about this:

I have left the roofing business due to the lack of ablity to make a living in the harsh conditions in my area. I have found the prices have became so low there was not much profit to do such ventures. SOme know what i am doing and some dont. I will not let that out to be honest because its personal. But i will say my area has had many problems and the lack of price i decided it would be better doing something else. Maybe next year i will renenter but for know i have free insurance and job security. so i will leave it like that.

I know what you are talking about Gtp! I am starting a night job on Monday to pay the bills and for benies. I will do roofing during the day. I’ve only had 1 call in 3 weeks. IO can’t live on that.Didn’t sell it either.People can’t afford it! It will be easier on me now,and I can be more casual about selling a roof when it doesn’t matter if I get it or not.I am still young enough to work 2 jobs.
I wish you good luck on your new venture! I hope al goes well for you.

J i wish all the luck to you. This is a bad strech so i gotta do what i gotta do.

Yeah, Good Luck to all of the veterans of the industry in hope that they survive this real or perceived downturn in the economy.

Fortunately for me, since I added a Great Siding Subcontractor to my arsenal, I have sold 3 siding jobs, one just this morning and all of them with premium quality materials and scopes of work.

This little add on is giving me a regeneration for additional options to profit enough from to exist, plus the roofing estimates have seemed to go back to the Quality Aspect and Referral Sources for the time being too.

I am backed up for over 3-4 weeks for the first time in about 2 years. It has been one job or 2-3 signed up at the best, for the most part, until right now.

Ed

Look on the bright side, it is fall.
More work comes in the fall than any other time of year, for me at least.

worked today for a hundred dollars,
and was actually happy about it.
wasted alot of money over the years.

but hey gtp i hope you hang around.
im very proud of what we all have created here.
top roofing website out there.

care not i of your work status, your roofing advise care i do.

do i indeed.

gweedo.

gweedo.

Im not going anywhere.

I know what you mean Ed. This time last year I went from having 4 in front of me to 30 in just 2 weeks. I had to tell all others to call back in the spring.Was also selling 4 out of 5 on the spot.I also do siding,windows,doors,and decks. No calls for anything…I also do not see any activity in the area when driving around…Always something ,but not this year…Allot of guys are going down around here.
This is also an area that has been gone over pretty well. The last say 20 of 30 jobs were less than 10 yrs old…Poor install,and plenty of sheets popping from not being re-nailed by the previous roofer.
This is the worst part,knowing that some of the lesser quality guys are still out there hackin, and there are guys that do better sitting home! The nature of the beast…

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]Allot of guys are going down around here.
[/quote]

Ding, Ding, Ding…

Opportunity Time For The Survivors…

You need to get all of those out of business competitor phone numbers and buy them for yourself.

If they will agree, you can get them NOW. If not, then one year after they stop using them, you can acquire them from the phone company, unless the rules have changed or it is different in your area.

I have 13 other phone numbers that do not advertise One Penny, but they provide me with 12 % of all of my incoming leads continuously, year after year, just by being listed in the In Column Free line in the YP’s.

Start answering your phone as The Roofing Company, How can we help you?

They won’t care that someone else got the call, because they at least got a hold of someone. For less than $ 20.00 per month per number, it is a No Brainer.

Ed

sorry gtp.
got roofing industry and roffing.com mixed up.

gweedo.

I did have the balls to explain how i bid roofs. If he does not know what it costs him to do the roof then he will be out of business.

Second I more than likely have been doing this long enough to know people like you are a dime a dozen when they ask dumb questions like that. Go back and do your sub contracting and leave the real work to the men. Dipshit

Taking one day at a time.
Roofing Sales Professional

me?.. Im still roofing.

[quote=“empie”]I did have the balls to explain how i bid roofs. If he does not know what it costs him to do the roof then he will be out of business.

Second I more than likely have been doing this long enough to know people like you are a dime a dozen when they ask dumb questions like that. Go back and do your sub contracting and leave the real work to the men. Dipshit

Roofing Sales Professional[/quote]

What or who are you referring to?

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]

[quote=“empie”]I did have the balls to explain how i bid roofs. If he does not know what it costs him to do the roof then he will be out of business.

Roofing Sales Professional[/quote]

Ed[/quote]

Yeah he kinda lost me there too… :idea:

I think hes talking about me. I have no idea what i did to bring that on but whatever. With something like 400,000 jobs lost in my area and the big three dropping pay rates, suppliers going under left and right. Can i still sell yes, but is it worth all the extra BS and time for a third of the money, then no its not. I have 15 years in this business and i just sell. I am not a sub. My heart is in roofing but the area is not productive enough at 155 a square to make it worth my time. Guys are doing things at cost. And dont give me that im selling higher stuff. When you have 3 bids at 5k and you come in at 6500 and thats your cost then at that point you are not going to make a sale 75% of the time. I have looked at the odds and made a decision for my family not to starve. There are many many large companies going out of business in my area. Just this week 2 of them went under and these were compaines that did 500 roofs a year. If i said anything to upset you please bring it to my attention in a pm rather than blasting me in the post. In closing i would rahter be out of the business paying my bills and having a little money for my family with free insurance than losing my car, truck and place to sleep.

[quote=“johnk”]

EdYeah he kinda lost me there too… :idea:[/quote]

Ditto.

& If you WERE referring to GTP, I think that was very uncalled for. I’ve never seen him provide anything but a service on this site.

As to the original post, I think that roofing is a good business to be in because everyone (well, most everyone) has a roof & sooner or later, it will have issues. It’s sorta like being a nurse or auto mechanic… there are some professioins that people are always going to have a need for.

Unfortunately for Michigan, the U.S. auto industry is going to look totally different in about 5 years. If your job was just eliminated & you have a bad roof, chances are you’re going to try & cut costs @ every turn possible & home repairs are no difference. things flow downhill…

I know what you mean GTP, I’m figuring a 30 square job now, 15 squares shingles and 15 squares modified with ice and water , and all the materials for the job came to 3889.00. They will fix the price for 2 weeks but there’s no guarantee they will have any materials due to the hurricanes. I was just told this today , your milage may vary.

Empie…If you were talking to me,I have not given up. I am supplementing with overnight work,and am taking care of what little business I have during the day. Real men know how to make something out of nothing…It takes a real man to swallow his pride,and do whatever it takes to provide for his family…There is noone to sub from in my area,lol Noone has enough for themself…I got 2 calls in 3weeks, and 1 sales call,and no sale…That is better than some are doing!

Good Luck GTP.

Good luck, GTP and you shall be in my prayers. I am in a similar position as a disgruntled deadbeat customer kept me from being licensed for about a year and a half. I have given up being a contractor but am part of a three person LLC and I am the sales manager and work some of the jobs. We no longer just do roofing but specialize in residential exterior repair/remodeling. We perform ork on anything having to do with the exterior of a home. Good luck to you in all of your endeavors.