Anybody hear of renailing a roof?

HAD A HOMEOWNER CALL ME AND ASK FOR A BID ON A ROOF. BUT THE BID IS FOR RENAILING A 13 YEAR OLD ROOF. I NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. ITS BEEN ON 13YRS-3-TAB SHINGLES. A ROOF INSPECTOR TOLD THE HOMEOWNER THAT HE DOES NOT NEED A NEW ROOF. THAT IT ONLY NEEDS TO BE RENAILED. IS’T THE SHINGLES ALREADY BEEN SEALED TOO LONG TO LIFT? I THINK HE SHOULD GET A REROOF. WHAT DO YOU ALL RECCOMEND THAT I DO? I DO NOT REALLY WANT TO TOUCH IT BUT HE HAS ANOTHER ROOF THAT IS IN NEED OF A REROOF. :stuck_out_tongue:

trying to renail a roof wouldn’t work as you’d have to reseal every shingle.
…side note: turn off the caps lock please.

if you had to renail a roof you would certainly want it to be a 3tab.
the inspector must have seen something that made him/her feel it needed renailed.
if you can get the tabs up to were you can renail the shingles then give it a try, the tabs should reseal themselves after your done.

gweedo.

Hi,

Why does it need to be renailed?

[quote=“gweedo”]if you had to renail a roof you would certainly want it to be a 3tab.
the inspector must have seen something that made him/her feel it needed renailed.
if you can get the tabs up to were you can renail the shingles then give it a try, the tabs should reseal themselves after your done.

gweedo.[/quote]

not on a 13 year old 3 tab roof…it will never reseal.

You need to go and look at the roof yourself and provide Your advice to the home owner.

Ed

You could renail the roof and hand seal the tabs. without seeing the roof and taking a guess it may be more economical to come and repair blown off shingles as they appear.

What kind of roof inspector is this? Did a home inspector inspect the roof? I don’t think I have ever heard anyone refer to themselves as a roof inspector.

wont it weaken the tabs when you bend them up to nail the shingles?

I did it once on a OC 20 yr 3-tab.
It was only a few months old at the time and I never heard anything back from it.

It took about 1 1/2 hrs if I remember correctly, about 25 sq on a 4/12.

Yeah, I’m also curious as to the reason behind the request to renail.

I also think that with a roof that is almost 65% past it’s “listed” life span & closer to 75% of what ‘most’ 3 Tab / 20 year shingles last, this is a lot of wasted effort (depending on what the cost is for your time, of course).

re-nail a 13 year old roof? NO WAY.

You would do more damage to the shingles than good.

I believe that there is some miscommunication here.
I believe that it went something like this.

“You dont need a whole new roof”
“You just need a nail-over”

That just means the “roof-inspector” was also a roofer trying to sell you a job.

He wanted to install a roof on top of your roof which most roofers call a “nail over”.

Hi,

25 year shingles in our area last 25 years. All the time. IKO’s are the only shingle that only lasts 10/15 years.

The tabs would not be damaged in our area.

If you did decide to renail and tear one would think the labor rate would be about the same as the labor to go over with another layer of shingles.

I know one shingle manufacturer pays $35 per square to hand seal shingles.

It may take more time to lift the tabs than to tar and nail.

My thoughts on the request would be a couple things,

Too short of fasteners,
fasteners placed too high,
roof was stapled and now the owner wants nails,
and blow offs.

Are the shingles organic or fiberglass?

Bottom line: We need more info & your 1st post is a bit too short on info for us (& you may possibly be going with limited info from the inspector, so we’re only speculating on this person’s intentions).

The homeowner had to have misunderstood the home inspector, or the home inspector hasn’t a clue about roofing. Either way, I would provide the homeowner with a price for re-roofing, and explain to them why then need a new roof.