Any advice?

Howdy,
I have a situation with a couple of construction workers I hired to do my roof. (old story, hu?)
These guys came out and gave me an estimate for siding. They pointed out that I needed a new roof (which I did) and since I had no idea what a roof or siding would cost, I asked them to give me an estimate for both. The total was over 10,000.00, so I said I couldn’t do both now but would do the roof only. (tear off of 2 layers) I asked if I could pay by credit card and they said yes, that I could put the materials on my credit card through local businesses and then when they needed their labor part, they would have a credit card machine (the old slide type, it sounded like) so I could pay them by credit card for the labor. The estimate for the roof was 4200.00. I told them I wouldn’t want it started until the first full week of May because I would have finals on May 3rd and didn’t want to mess with it until after that. This was probably in March. They called me in mid April to see if it was still a go and I said yes but I wanted to see the color of the shingles in the bright daylight to make sure I was getting what I wanted first. They came out to show me the shingles again. At that time, I asked what it would cost extra to shingle the 10X12 shed with the same shingles. They said $100.00 more plus materials (which I would be paying for).
They asked at that time if I would allow them to do the work sooner since they had a lapse in work at that time. I reluctantly agreed since school was coming to a close. They said the shingles would be delivered in the next day or two and they would have the contract to sign at that time.
This agreement also included putting vents every 3 ft in my soffit on the south side because there were none and it was ruining my roof they said. I already had vents in the roof and vents in the soffit on the north side.
The shingles were delivered as well as the other stuff that goes with it using my credit card. They went to a different business to order the items because the price was less. They were on the roof when I got home and I asked for the contract and he said in a little bit.
They finished the roof over a long period of time because their excuses didn’t get them here till 10 or 11, they would take a lunch break, then usually be gone by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Then came the soffit. They ripped a few pieces of soffit out, denting them and determined they couldn’t replace the soffit without tearing the siding (cedar) off of the front of the house. Also, the soffit was a different width, so they said they would have to replace all of the soffit. I asked what this would cost and the numbers were 600 something and 700 something and I don’t remember which was labor and which was parts. He also started on me about giving them their labor. By this time, I had asked for the contract 3 times. No show of contract.
They knew I had my hands full with an exam and quiz that Thursday 4/27 and a final on 5/3 in college. He said the job would be done by Thursday and I knew I couldn’t deal with anything Thursday because of the exam. Wednesday, I needed to study and I told them this. He said he didn’t have the machine to pay them their labor and I needed to go to their bank. I told him I could go to my local bank and deposit a check from the credit card with no fees and interest but they might hold the check for 5-10 days, I didn’t know. He pressured me into going to his bank and assured me it wasn’t a cash advance because it was for construction. I asked how much the total labor was and he said 2650.00. I drove him to his bank in SB and deposited the money, then later found this was indeed a cash advance costing me 70.+ in fees and a hefty 19.99% interest rate!
They then went to Lowes and purchased the rest of the materials needed for the front of the house and the siding. Lowes called me to approve the charge. I had no idea at the time that they purchased tin snips on my credit card to the tune of 26.00. They purchased 10 sheets of wood siding and 2 gallons of stain amongst other things. The next day, they went back and purchased 2 more gallons of stain on my account without my approval. The stain has an average 300 sq ft coverage and for 10 sheets of 8ft x 4ft panels adding up to 320 sq ft, two gallons should have been more than sufficient. I believe they kept the other 2 gallons at 25.97 a gallon for themselves. I spoke with Lowes and the man who gave them the second batch of stain said he thought they hadn’t taken the stain the day before which is why he allowed them to take it the second time.
The siding on the front of the house is just shy of 5 ft tall. They only needed 9 panels, not the 10 they ordered (at 21.16 a sheet), yet the panel left over was cut to the approximate 5 ft.
AFTER the job was completed, they showed with one proposal which was not the original because they had written the 6 and 700.00 estimates on the original one. This proposal had 4600.00 written on it. They wrote the proposal for the front as I stood there, for 1340.00. After I paid the 2650.00, I noticed a credit on my credit card for 239.45 of items returned along with a -10.00 restocking fee. Within 2 days, they told me I owed them that money because it was part of the contract and since I was “saved” the money, they get it in labor. I told them that I had asked what the TOTAL labor was and they said 2650.00 and I wasn’t paying it. I waited until my husband got home and asked him and he said to go ahead and pay it, so I wrote a check for 240.00 to them.
At this time, they still have not taken a magnet to the yard for nails and I have had 2 flats on my lawn tractor tire. They still have ten 3ft x 4ft pieces of siding that are mine. They took the tin snips with them and also what was left of my felt paper from the roof and boxed roofing nails. I called twice and left a message to get my wood to me and get the nails picked up. I then realized they had the tin snips. I called again and told them I wanted the tin snips too and I wanted everything that night, which was 5/12. No show, no calls returned. I called again Tuesday 5/15 and one answered the phone and said he tried to call me back but the line was busy 2.5 hours (lie, not possible). He said the other guy has the wood and walked out on him and he said he might have the tin snips. No mention of coming to get the nails picked up.
I called the guy with the wood and his x-wife insisted he would have the wood out here in 24 hours, that would have been at 10 a.m. this morning.
I am getting nowhere with these two. I think they have ripped me off and am not sure what parts of this ordeal I have legal rights with and which things I am just out the money.
I have contacted the FTC, but that is basically just reporting. I contacted my credit card that I used to pay the labor in hopes they will reconsider the fees.
I would like my wood, felt paper, nails, and tin snips and would like the magnet run here so I don’t get more flat tires. Fix-a flat only goes so far. All materials were paid for by me.
Can you guys give me some insight as to what parts of this are legit and what isn’t?
Any help would be appreciated.

What a mess.

Good luck to you. Next time choose a reputable(sp) contractor, and be glad that you are only out a few hundred in material.

About all you have in Indiana is small claims court. It cost less than 50.00 to file, and when they get the summons I bet your stuff shows up…even the rusted snips.

wanna buy a bridge? :smiley:

gee thanks guys

Usually the contract is the first thing to be discussed when applying a new roof.
You should have got a price qoute from the roofers and a price sheet for materials being used on the roof.
Everything in the contract should be laid out berfor hand. And if your paying for the material with your own money you should only give at most 40 percent of the roof. The rest on official completion. And always get a reciet. This way you are legit with the taxes.
Most company will give you a price qoute for materials and labour. In most cases it will be broken down so the homeowner knows they are not getting ripped off. You got ripped off as you allready know.
im not sure if any information you retrieve will help you due to the fact no reciet or contract was singed.
Athorities can hit you also for not complying with the contractor code of conduct.
In the future i would not use a personal contractor.
If your doing any repair or anything that is a service to you or you home a legit reciet is needed.
This way if the contractor srews you you can atleast let them pay for it. In your case all you can do is try contact your workers and make them pay for your cost. Other than that i dont see athorities helping with this matter.
Roofingbuster.

Hi,
Thanks for the straight advice. I don’t understand the part where you said I didn’t comply with the contractors code of conduct. Not sure what that means.
Also, was it a rip off that they asked for the 240 after I asked the total labor and paid it? They said they had the 240 coming because the parts part would be reduced by that amount and therefore it went on the labor part since they gave me a “total quote”.
Just curious on that.
I do see where I made quite a few mistakes here. Partly because I was stupid enough to trust these guys.
I can assure anyone that it will never happen again!

[quote=“Diana”]Hi,
Thanks for the straight advice. I don’t understand the part where you said I didn’t comply with the contractors code of conduct. Not sure what that means.
Also, was it a rip off that they asked for the 240 after I asked the total labor and paid it? They said they had the 240 coming because the parts part would be reduced by that amount and therefore it went on the labor part since they gave me a “total quote”.
Just curious on that.
I do see where I made quite a few mistakes here. Partly because I was stupid enough to trust these guys.
I can assure anyone that it will never happen again![/quote]

I think the 240 is BS.
the contractor code of conduct, well lets just say not just anyone can roof you roof. They have to have permits and other legalalities.
Alot of home owner like to pay under the table but that can get them in trouble. If you know what i mean.

Roofing buster…are you saying there was supposed to be a permit to do this roof??? HOLY COW!
As for anything under the table, not if I can help it. As a matter of fact, the IRS is one of the places on my list of people to contact because when I asked for my receipts those guys weren’t to happy to give them to me. This told me that they were going to try to write off those receipts on another job or the labor from me, if they had the guts to show anyone the “contract”.
I suppose now you are going to tell me it was my responsibility to get this permit to do the roof and I will bet it is my glutus maximus that would get in trouble for not getting one. Am I right?
Jesus! Its getting to the place where you just can’t trust anyone anymore. This world is becoming a really sick place.
Thanks for taking the time to write me. I do appreciate it.

Diana

as for the code of conduct…i think that might be a canadian thing. i have never heard of that. as for the permit…yes it would have been your responability and permit requirements vary from village to village. my village doesnt require one uless i alter the structure. however if i drive 3 miles down the road i need one to breathe. now that the job is done though they cant come back on you. in my opinion your pretty well done with all of this and any remaining issues you will probably never get resolved. next time i would suggest hiring a reputable company with references & valid insurance.

Indiana doesnt have a state wide licensing system…and I doubt the city that you live is does either.

Her in Indy we are suppose to call the bldg dept and tell them when we are roofing a house…but enforcement is zero.

Very few citys require permit…you need to call your local bldg dept and see what they think.

They may make you tearoff the whole roof and install a new one to there specs :twisted:

honesty if I was you I would just mark it up as a leasson learned.

I am sorry to hear what happened to you as for roof buster dont listen to word he says he only dose new construction but he trys to give advice on commerical flat roofs to which he dose not do either .I hate to say it but i think your beat dont waste the energy on these guys but like i tell my customers if a company wants money up front throw them out of your house i do not take any money down .Payment is on completion of job that way they have a reason to get the job done if you give them money up front there no reason to finish the job these guy sound like bunch of scum bags be glad there out of your life and never give money till job is done 100 percent that way you have some power

Howdy,
I did get my tin snips, felt paper and “most” of the wood back last night. I told them I had contacted the State Police (which I did) and the one guy got all cussy and P’d off! I told him that every day that goes by that I don’t get my stuff, I am going to contact another place. Tomorrow is the local paper…action line.
I am not sure if they will come check for nails and at this point don’t want to see their faces, but I do cringe when mowing the lawn because of 2 flats already. I think I will check around and see about a magnet myself, maybe rent one. Hubby has a metal detector but doesn’t seem to thrilled to go hunting for something that doesn’t spend. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it and KNOW this won’t happen again!

Diana

[quote=“Diana”]Howdy,
I did get my tin snips, felt paper and “most” of the wood back last night. I told them I had contacted the State Police (which I did) and the one guy got all cussy and P’d off! I told him that every day that goes by that I don’t get my stuff, I am going to contact another place. Tomorrow is the local paper…action line.
I am not sure if they will come check for nails and at this point don’t want to see their faces, but I do cringe when mowing the lawn because of 2 flats already. I think I will check around and see about a magnet myself, maybe rent one. Hubby has a metal detector but doesn’t seem to thrilled to go hunting for something that doesn’t spend. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it and KNOW this won’t happen again!

Diana[/quote]

I have a question.
Did youn ask your hubby for any advice on the situation?

The only thing I asked hubby was whether to pay them the 240 they were asking for after I had already paid their labor. He doesn’t deal with stuff like this at ALL.
I’m pretty much on my own with this.

[quote=“Diana”]The only thing I asked hubby was whether to pay them the 240 they were asking for after I had already paid their labor. He doesn’t deal with stuff like this at ALL.
I’m pretty much on my own with this.[/quote]

I know alot of roofer can be shady.
And also know just because your a woman a guy might think you dont know much about roofing. If he thinks that if hes shady hell take advantage of you. Not being sexist or anything but if they were dealing with your hubby then they might have been a little more legit.

I totally agree with you

as for the nails…call another roofing company and maybe offer $50 to run thier magnet in your yard for a 1/2 hour or so.

Thanks Marshall E… I didn’t know you could do that!

instead of paying another roofing company $50. for 1/2 an hour, just go to a local rental store and rent a rolling magnet for around $20-$25 per day

B-A roofer…that sounds even better!

Thanks!

Diana