Advice needed

had steady winds of 60 mph gusts of 90 yesterday, have been dealing with a house that takes the brunt of the wind, on a hill, almost a third of the roof blew off yesterday on the backside roughly 7 8 sqaure. Couple weeks ago issurance said they would not cover it because the seals are glazed over, never sealed properly. Im afraid when we send the kit into Tamko, they will say one out of every five nails is not through the double laminate. The problem, my company installed it. Any ideas. This was a new construction two years ago so no contract with the home owner, last night he had alot of water come in naturaly, This will keep happening, now all that dust from yesterday will be unnder the shingles and the will never seal. Summertime install

IF this was a new construction where you hired by the general contractor or by the person who was having the home built?

Well the general contractor hired me but he was payed by the homeowner it was a custom. The builder never got final payment because of reasons i dont know of really. HO is handeling the situation with me well, so far. But the HO has the reciets for all aspects of the build materials wise i guess. The builder is a prodiminate builder in my area 450,000-750,000 range customs. I already am aware 50yr prems should have been instaled, as i have since convinced the builder and other builders to do so, the house right around the corner has them, i put them on and they have done fine. why do you ask bam?

I was just wondering. I have not had this situation happen to me. I would think the homeowner would have to go through the general contractor and then he would contact you since he was the one who paid you to do it. I could be entirely wrong and I probably am. I know that with GAF if its a low pitch and you use 6 nails and only 4 hit the line they still warranty it because you are only required by them to have a minimum of 4.

I dont know much of what I am saying. I got hit on my Motorcycle the other day so im all drugged up and posting on here but if Tamkos only require 4 nails minimum for the pitch you were on and you have 5 and one of them missed but the other 4 are still good I dont see why they would say it was an installers error.

you are all good,bam and that was my thinking too about tamko, i tried to pick the best ones to send in the kit. get better.

What if you tear off one more row of shingles to expose clean shingles, re-shingle 7 or 8 square and seal them down with a few dabs of tar? Should cost you no more than 1,000 bucks. I know it sucks and I would hate it too but customer satisfaction is paramount. Did you know roofers are at or near the top every year for BBB complaints? I know the BBB sucks but they do carry some credibitly for business owners.
Thats what I would do. Or tarp it but don’t let water get in the house cause that can only make any potential liability on your part worse.
If the kit comes back good from Tamko you could probably get re-imbursed. You could also file an insurance claim but I wouldn’t do that with something this size. good luck with it

sounds like they got nailed to high, and when
there nailed high they pull rite off.
find the knucklehead who did it and teach him/her
that demensional shingles must be nailed as close to being exsposed as possible.
and no they dont give ya much room. you have to penatrate the double part of the single.
tell your crews you would rather see a couple
low nails and know the roofs nailed rite, rather than
no low nails and the roof layin in the yard.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]sounds like they got nailed to high, and when
there nailed high they pull rite off.
find the knucklehead who did it and teach him/her
that demensional shingles must be nailed as close to being exsposed as possible.
and no they dont give ya much room. you have to penatrate the double part of the single.
tell your crews you would rather see a couple
low nails and know the roofs nailed rite, rather than
no low nails and the roof layin in the yard.

gweedo.[/quote]

I don’t want to see any low nails. I want to hear about how many low nails they had to pull out because they were low. A roofer who leaves low nails needs to reconsider how he is roofing.

Just recently I had an IKO rep tell me that shingles were delaminating due to high nails. I say they blew off due to high nails however the shingles that are still attached to the roof are delaminating and its not from “high nails”. Of course he also said he is yet to see a defective laminated IKO shingle. Maybe that’s why he said IKO doesn’t allow them to go on roofs that are not in progress. We will be sending in a kit to IKO in regards to this roof. I am just waiting for them to say “the shingles are delaminating due to high nails”. We didn’t install it so they will be picking fight if they say those words.

You have a somewhat similiar situation. The roof blew off due to high nails. because a properly nailed roof will not blow off in 70mph winds even if it’s not sealed down. But why isn’t the roof sealed down. Tamko doesn’t owe for the blowoff the installer does. Tamko may owe the homeowner if the shingles aren’t sealed down. What good are shingles that don’t seal.

I am in belief that if the shingles are not nailed to man. specs it could cause shingles to not seal properly…If you notice the seal strip on the laminate shingle is actually lifted by the proper nailing,and high nails push the sealing strip down actually holding it away from the overlapping shingle.
This is just another problem with high nailed shingles.
I have also had Tamko shingles that did not seal as well as Gaf /Elk Timberline Prestiques.For that matter I did 2 roofs with Gaf/Elk Timberline Natural shadow,(customers request)and they did not seal like the Prestiques…(since old Elks anyway)I will not use any thing but the Prestiques any more…(new timberlines are old elk shingles basically) they just used the color picks from Gaf line.IMO they seal the best of all the shingles I have used,and I will sell that fact (in my experience)to any prospect…

i RELLY understand the need for proper nailing vs speed or what ever. Also something i have discovered on this job is the aboundance of dirt under the shingles. it is caked under about 1 inch to 2 inch under the shingles and seams. Minding this job is two years old. Now the other day i got a good picture of the dust that comes through the valley in the hills behind the house. INSANE! like the dust bowl back in the day. There is a new development to one side of the house LOTS of dirt work, wide open river bottom to the other, the high wind area, through the hills. The insurance company has noticed the dirt and non sealing, im sure Tamko will too when they get the kit. Maybe i should have washed the shingles!. Im a guy of integrity, so ill get the shaft. I talked to the HO tonight about re-doing the whole back side with 50 yr prems. but tht doesnt stop the dirt prob.

Thanks for the honest (but not too brutal) replys guys(nd gals) lol.

Last year or so tamkos seal sucks! very intermintant and sometimes almost non existant i think the machines were running to fast during the sped up production during the storms of last year. I know our wholesaler was about bare last summer because the factories couldent keep up. Baseball- Softball hail in one part of city,follwed up by f4-f5 tornado right throught the middle of a fairly new, large development. Oh which by the way passed 150 yrds or so from this job im dealing with

You need a standing seam roof keeps out the dirt and blocks the wind brother.

lol i hear ya, but thats a little more than i have to spend on this job.