Advertising best bang for your buck

I know this topic has been discussed at great length on here before but im going to pound it one more time i just crunched my numbers from last year and on 243 estimates written mine brakes down like this

42% word of mouth
23% online advertising
21% newspaper
14% yellow pages

62% win rate over all

id be interested to know if anyone else had similar numbers

65% word of mouth
25% truck lettering
10% web,canvassing,billboard
75% closing ratio…

90% referal 10% ? I know we get some calls from truck lettering and job signs.

Well I just did a very nice direct mail with homeowners name and have gotten virtually no response.
Sent out about 8000

nicley lettered trucks are priceless. job signs are very valuable as well.

Jrock, if you are sending direct mailers using a purchased customer list, you are throwing your money away. Direct mail works best when sent to previous customers. This approach works well in the commercial sector where repairs and maintenance are required regularly. Sending them to homeowners is a great branding tool, but doesn’t translate to sales. When sending direct mailers, you must also take life cycle into consideration. If a home owner has a roof less than 10 years old, it is the furthest thing from their mind and your message ends up in the trash.

In our organization, we are at a point where 80% of our new customers are coming from web searches. Concentrate on maintaining a clean, informative website and market towards increasing your online visibility. Our average cost per internet lead is less than $5.00. It is a very cost effective approach with a high ROI.

Well I am in Houston so I am pretty sure the majority of the people who got them need a roofer. I wish I had a lot of referals and repeat business but we just expanded from Austin about 5 months ago. I just cant figure out why more work is not going on not only by me but other companies as well.

I agree with Marshall on this one. Nice clean trucks that are lettered very well seem to be the best advertising. As I have stated before, a lot of customers who werent referred to us say our neat and clean apperance is one of the main reasons they chose us. A lot of our testimonials say things about how the were impressed about how nice and clean the trucks and equipment were as well as how the employees look clean cut. I do not allow any peircings besides the strange ones who like to have their ears peirced. I make them take out lip rings or nose rings or eyebrows.

This may just be me, but I feel like the cleaner cut and the cleaner everythign looks, the more people will feel comfortable with you taking care of there home. I mean, if you dont care about your own stuff, why are you going to care about theres?

Plus if you spend $500 to letter a truck “proffesionally” it is a billboard forever everywhere you go. People will see it…even if they dont want to.

Hi Jwoolfsroofing,

If you have a 75% closing rate and no work. You need to advertize.

Hi Jrock3369,

Sending out 2,000 4 times to the same address’s would get better results.

We just looked at the rough draft for our 30 second commercial. Gave approval to produce it. As soon as things start to bloom, we will shoot and start airing.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi Jrock3369,

Sending out 2,000 4 times to the same address’s would get better results.

We just looked at the rough draft for our 30 second commercial. Gave approval to produce it. As soon as things start to bloom, we will shoot and start airing.[/quote]

here is my TV commercial. Did not get much return from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM636VvE6Zo)

Hi Marshall Exteriors,

I remember see it last year.

How did you come up with the idea. With ideas sometimes I go blank. I now have an outside marketing person.

well, it was an ongoing joke with me and my brothers that when i was younger our mother dated a drunk roofer named frank. He was a crook, just like the character in my commercial. so we always referred to hack roofers as frank. So when we decided to make a commercial we figured we would use a little comedic effect to get the viewers attention and name him Uncle Frank (couldn’t really tell people he was my moms boyfriend).

Marshall

I liked your tv ad. I think it didn’t work because it was not the right message. It was what you liked, not what would would work.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]Marshall

I liked your tv ad. I think it didn’t work because it was not the right message. It was what you liked, not what would would work.[/quote]

im also in a very small rural market

55% word of mouth, 45% website. They’re running neck and neck for me.

My first tv ad started running today and I already got a lead. :smiley:

[quote=“Jrock3369”]Well I just did a very nice direct mail with homeowners name and have gotten virtually no response.
Sent out about 8000[/quote]

This is very discouraging to hear. I have been relentlessly approached by a guy from Verizon about a direct mailer package and I was almost sold on the idea.

Why do some people get a good response from direct mail and others don’t?

Why does a website produce results for some and not others?

I think whatever form of marketing you decide to use, you need to make sure you doing it as effectivly as possible.

Ask your self “who is my customer” , “where can I reach this customer”, "what is the right message"
Then mold your marketing around that.