A question for the roofers in the crowd

When it comes to ridge vents, everyone has their personal favorites or go-to products, but is there anything missing in what is available? In other words, what do you want to see in a ridge vent that you can’t currently get? A new feature on an existing product? Different or better accessory items in the package?

What do you want but can’t get out of the products available today?

Why reinvent the wheel. Cobra vent goes down quick, simple and is leak proof. it also looks good. I have tried about every damn one on the market one time or another and always go back to GAF Cobra.

RooferJim

RooferJ , I have to agree with you cobra is about the best that I’ve used , as well. Hope that helps .

[quote=“RooferJ”]Why reinvent the wheel. Cobra vent goes down quick, simple and is leak proof. it also looks good. I have tried about every damn one on the market one time or another and always go back to GAF Cobra.

RooferJim[/quote]

Cheers, JimBargain.

What do you mean by Bargain Aaron ?? your the one in a low rent district compare to my clientell. I dont paint on roofs either. LOL
Cheers

Stand behind the GAF Snowcountry…

i have no problems w/cobra–the snow country doesn`t work as well w/very steep pitches imo

I see most of you are Cobra guys, which is cool, but how did you end up going with Cobra?
Have you tried other ridge vents (if so, which ones?) and switched to Cobra? Why did you switch? Performance, availability, price, product features, power nailable, comes on a roll, has a baffle?
I work for Cor-A-Vent and I talk to a lot of roofers and hear a lot of opinions. Usually, when roofers call us here, they already use Cor-A-Vent and talk about why they like it, etc. but I would like to hear from others out there - what you use and why, and specifically, if you’ve ever had a moment where you’ve said, "This ridge vent is crap, I wish they made one that … (fill in the blank)."
If you’re interested in filling out a Cor-A-Vent survey, email me and I’ll send you one. I think we’re giving out either hats or 25-foot tape measures to everyone who sends back a survey.

I used Cora-vent 20 years ago. there were problems with snow getting in the vent. I would be glad to fill out your survey but will not change from Cobra again. I have tried them all. used nothing but Shingle vent 2. for a while, tested snow country for GAF before it was on the market. but I work in a coastal envirment with a lot of wind blown rain and snow and just can gamble with any other ridge vent.

RooferJim

Thanks, Jim, I sent the survey to you.

Five years ago, we addressed the snow issues by adding the enhanced snow screen (filter material) to keep snow from blowing in and we’ve had great success (read - no more snow infiltration). Up in your neck of the woods in Mass, the V-400E is the product of choice.

We’re coming out with several new products this year and we’re always looking to make roofers’ lives easier by making quality products that meet specific needs and concerns of our customers, hence the questions.

[quote=“RooferJ”]What do you mean by Bargain Aaron ?? your the one in a low rent district compare to my clientell. I dont paint on roofs either. LOL
Cheers[/quote]

Arent you JimBagain i nthat other forum? We playfully call you bargain from time to time because it looks that way as it read? If that is not you, than please accept my apologies.

Also, if you think polyurea is paint, then you may need to look further into it…it is stronger than your EPDM and just as flexible, plus it is seamless.

Thanks for the insults, my friend.

Steve - shot you my email requesting your survey. I will give you honest and ufront answers.

Timothy
Seal Tight Construction

Honestly the only few times I had used Cora-vent is when I needed to design and fabricate something from scratch. Like one time I used it to make a copper ridge vent where two standing seam copper roofs came together. The AC guys decided at the last minute that the ridge needed venting for the clients oversized duct work. Had to build a raised curb and do bread-pan folds and I needed something ridgid and ventable. The Cora-vent is good for stuff like that but like RJ said, I already use product that is proven in my area and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Snow country and Cobra are the vents of choice IMO.

A 3" piece of cobra vent reminds me of …

I forgot what it was …

O well ill remember eventually :mrgreen:

Hey Aaron no offence man. must be a wiseass roofing thing. LOL

RooferJim

ALL RIGHT GUYS !! all right,ill say it. its great for scrubbing pots and pans.
added bonus

RooferJim
OK happy now,couldnt resist

Also makes one hell of a toupee if you’re afro-american!

http://www.afroworld.com/images/011a.jpg

Timothy,

Email sent - and I put a copy of the survey on the Cor-A-Vent blog for anyone else interested. You can click the link in my signature below.

Just so you guys know, this is for informational purposes only. I’m not going to inundate you with junk mail (snail or e). Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Try using it for a loofah.

Steve,

I would like to see independant testing results showing the In-Vent NFVA results versus the DCI Smart Vent NFVA please.

Could you please present the information directly to my e-mail address?

Thank You,

Ed