30 year? Timberline or Landmark

Hi All, Have learned a lot from reading here but have a few more questions.
I want to use 30 year shingles with closed cut valleys. I’m considering 30 year certainteed landmarks or 30 year GAF/Elk timberline.
Are there any differences in construction method or working characteristics between the two that would be of significance for a cut valley?
Are the landmark shingles involved in any of certainteed’s lawsuits?
The Timberlines come in 30 years or 30 year hi definition for a few dollars more. Are the hi defs a mechanically different shingle or just colored to look different? I’m in california if that makes a difference in manufacturing specifications?
I have one wing that’s 3/12 pitch, would either of these brands work better on low slope?
Regards, DaveB

Although some people like them, I would never put certainteed shingles on even if it was my dog house. We use stricly Gaf products and shingles but thats just one of those things.

that is interesting BAMMBAMM. I prefer certainteed shingles. I don’t like GAF much and absolutely hate the ELK shingles.I have seen too many 8 year old ELK roofs where the shingles are cracked.

That’s funny, because I prefer ELK or now GAF, over Certainteed. However, if you really like Certainteed that much, you can come down to Houston and pick up as many as you like from the curb as many home owners are cleaning up after Ike.

Seriously, they are probably about the same with regard to fiberglass mat, asphalt weight, etc. It is just a matter of choice, like Ford, GM or Chrysler.

Don’t know much about the GAF/ELK Timberlines besides the fact that they will make me a lot of money. With hundreds of thousands of roofs out there with shingles no longer made prior to Dec 2007 in the Twin Cities area it will be job security when they blow off or when they get minumal hail damage.

Here in MN we had some 70 and 80 mph wind this year. Driving around I saw mostly Prestique and Timberlines blown off and very few to no Landmarks. This could of course be caused by high nailing.

More than likely the high def. Timberline is like the Landmark Premium max def. which basicly uses more contrast in granuals to make a more defined shingle.

Never heard of any Landmarks with warranty issues. Been on some up to 12 years old with no cracks or excessive granual loss. Most Timberline roofs at 10 years will have cracks. Was on a Timberline 40 roof a couple months ago with tons of cracks, it wasn’t even 10 years old yet.

The Certainteed shingles with the lawsuits are organic which aren’t made anymore and the New Horizon which was a bad design from day one. If and when the New Horizon line is dropped will finally be able to buy that lake home I always dreamed of!!!

A 3/12 is a low pitch for laminate shingles. They say with a low pitch like that you are better off with three tab shingles which will allow water to run down the eye lines rather than all over on a laminate shingle. Put laminates on a few 3/12’s with no issues but installed ice and water on the whole roof.

If you get a chance go down to a shingle house and look and hold each shingle. Feel which one you would rather have on your roof and buy it.

As I said, its all opinion. Around here, the roofs that already had certainteed shingles on are the ones that make me the money and have the blow offs. Maybe its the person installing it. Who knows. Its sort of like chevy or ford. Sort of like cerebus said about the vechicle thing, Id personally never drive a ford but you might never even want to look at a chevy. You have to decide what you like the most, after all, its your house.

You see a lot of Landmarks blowing off? In the past six years 400 roofs had two blow off. One was on a roof over 3 stories up at the eave on a 100+ ft bluff off the Mississippi River. The other was also on a roof over on a barn were the pitch was straight up and down. Both were five years ago before Certainteed teamed up with 3M and put the tar on the back.

It is a choice of personal opinion. Nobody tells me I can’t drive my Ford 7.3’s and have to buy a Japanese powered pick up.

I’d try Tamko Heritage or Owens Corning Duration before Timberline, just my two cents.

[quote=“Cerberus”]

That’s funny, because I prefer ELK or now GAF, over Certainteed. However, if you really like Certainteed that much, you can come down to Houston and pick up as many as you like from the curb as many home owners are cleaning up after Ike.**

Seriously, they are probably about the same with regard to fiberglass mat, asphalt weight, etc. It is just a matter of choice, like Ford, GM or Chrysler.[/quote]

That is strange, it is the Timberlines that blow off around here.
The Landmarks hold tight.

More than 90% of roofers are hacks, so even good shingles get a bad reputation, often times totally undeservedly so.

Ed

My area is blessed with many good roofers.

Gaf/Elk same company

i know they are the same company now.I was talking about 8 year old elk shingles when they were still elk.

Timberlines are better now that they absorbed Elk…
What does that say about Timberlines?

Nothings worse than BP’s,IKo’s are top notch compared to them.

[quote=“ed the roofer”]More than 90% of roofers are hacks, so even good shingles get a bad reputation, often times totally undeservedly so.

Ed[/quote]

We have a winner!

[quote="-Axiom-"] That is strange, it is the Timberlines that blow off around here.
The Landmarks hold tight.[/quote]

Here is a photo of some Landmark’s “holding tight.”

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/IMG_2499-1.jpg

OK Guys let me see if I understand this correctly. The 10 year old timberlines that are reported to have cracks would be the old GAF shingles which are now the “30 year natural shadow” but If I buy the 30 year timberline Hi definitions they will be the old Elk shingles, which are not prone to cracks? and the Landmark 30 years don’t have a cracking problem?? :>) BTW, My house is in a wind sheltered area and I plan to use closed cut valleys if that makes any difference in your recommendations? Can I just let my wife choose from the three by color?
Regards, DaveB

[quote=“Cerberus”]

[quote="-Axiom-"] That is strange, it is the Timberlines that blow off around here.
The Landmarks hold tight.[/quote]

Here is a photo of some Landmark’s “holding tight.”

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/IMG_2499-1.jpg[/quote]

You must have x-ray vision to know they are Landmarks from across the street.

I got the chance to drive through the streets in Hugo, MN that got hit with the twister. On the New Horizon roofs there were a lot of blow offs. On the Timberline roofs there was a fair amount of blow offs. On the Landmark roofs if the shingles were off so was the decking. There was one house were you could see a few patches of shingles left, the decking was off 95% of the house.

Today met with an adjuster on a 10 year old cracked Timberline 40 Weather Wood roof. The adjuster was going to buy it for hail damage but rather than paying two deductibles wanted him to buy it for unrepairable tree damage. He said to pull a shingle and while he stood there watching me pry on the shingle he said to wait and he snapped a picture. He wrote the claim as unrepairable due to brittle shingles.

No, not really. It is the neighborhood that I live in, so I know what is on my roof and the other 106 houses around me. I’d say about 85% of the houses in my neighborhood have some kind of shingle loss due to wind from Hurricane Ike, and yet I’m 60 miles from shore.

Like I said before, it is just a matter of preference. If you are a Certainteed applicator, I expect you to push Certainteed, and if you were an Elk applicator I’d expect you to push Elk/GAF. Me, I don’t care one way or another. As for my Certainteed roof, it is 6 years old, and I’m hoping I can get another 10 years out of my 30 year shingles. Then again, I live in Houston and it cuts short the life of lots of roofing products.

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. its all about the installation. I prefer GAF/ELK but i have installed landmarks too with no problems. On the same note i have also had my quips about quality on both.

I do have to say that since the GF/ELK merger the quality has gotten much better.