30 year old roof on cabin

This cabin is in the mountains of Colorado and has never been reroofed. A local roofer last year said to just roof-over and quoted $4-5000 to do it. Another roofer quoted $13000 to take off old roof and replace. Last year the first roofer couldn’t get to it before the snow came and this year the roof looks much worse. I’m gussing everyone will say to strip the roof. Anybody think differently?

There are no leaks, bare wood is now showing in small places. The skylights are another area of concern. These have lasted over 30 years since the cabin was built and they seem to be fine. Should I replace? Are new skylights as sturdy to last just as well?
Thanks!

Tear it off period. WHats wrong with the current skylights? Going over that mess will on cause more problems.

Tear off,reflash skylights,replace boots and add adequate ventalation.

Those look like the old 15 year asphalt shingles, hadn’t seen any of those in 30 years. :shock:

That’s really getting your money’s worth,if you did a
nail-over the new shingles would never lay down smooth and it would look like crap. Tear it off,you will be glad you did.

reroofing over those old shingles makes no sense.
Tear off the old roof and have it done the right way.I would even replace those old school skylights with some nice Velux skylights.

Let us know what you decide to do with it :wink:

Any roofer that tried to cover over those would be:

1. an idiot
  2. well… an idiot

I agree w/Z car…Why would you go through all the trouble and expense to tear off roof and put back old skylites… Replace it all and get a few years of good sleep,lol…Also old skylite has no step flashings, so it is a tar nightmare to re-use…If tar is required I am not involved…

ditto Z car and ditto Jwoolf…must be some smart roofers in PA :wink:

I have to agree, velux are nice skylights and the step flashing makes it leak proof.However , I am not scared to stick my hand in a bucket of bull.

ok - thanks for the feedback!
Regarding the skylights - the Velux skylights apparently are installed by a skylight dealer right? Do they do the work first then roof or roof then skylights? Also the Velux fixed skylights apparently are not curved like the current ones. With feet of snow on top, the current skylights shed the snow in a day or so…what would happen with the Velux?

Skylights are installed when the roof is done, the roofer will do this.
It sounds like you may have plastic bubble “skylights” Velux are much much better, no need to worry about them if installed right.

[quote="-Axiom-"]Skylights are installed when the roof is done, the roofer will do this.
It sounds like you may have plastic bubble “skylights” Velux are much much better, no need to worry about them if installed right.[/quote]

I’m not worried about the Velux skylights being water tight I’m worried about getting covered with snow and not bringing in light. Since the domed skylight I now have lets in light a day or so after a couple of feet of snow, it seems the dome configuration is what causes the snow to sluff off fast…

The Velux skylights probably won’t lose as much heat.
So if you get a heavy snow you probably won’t be able to see out of your skylight.
You won’t lose as much heat either…