30 vs. 40 year shingles & wind

Hi all. We are getting a new roof for the house we just purchased. We originally decided on 30-year dimensional shingles (Pabco), but our contractor recommends we go for the 40-year shingles instead due to us being in a “high wind area”. We live in Seattle and it’s true that we do get some high winds and, on occasion, some nasty windstorms (last December, for example…). And the house is exposed to Puget Sound and is up a hill a ways, so I can imagine we will get more wind than a house in a valley.

The 40-year shingles are heavier and have a higher wind rating. My question is, is it worth the extra $500 to get these?

Our house is such that the roof is not really visible from the street (we almost never see it), so the nicer look of 40-year shingles is not a factor. I figure a roof leak due to wind could end up costing me $500, so I should probably just do it. Is that a reasonable course of action, or am I just wasting $500? The 30-year shingles are wind-rated up to 60 mph.

Thanks!

Carl

I have never heard of Pabco shingles, but if the 30 yr variety is only rated for 60 mph they probably aren’t very good…

Certainteed rate the landmark series at 70 mph, 75 mph if you 5 nail them for 30 yr shingles.

Increased resistance to wind is the only good reason to bump up to a 40 yr shingle IMO.
You won’t notice much of a difference in looks between a 30 yr and a 40 yr.
A 40 yr shingle will look the same as a 30 yr after 25 yrs of exposure.
Being in a high wind area you may want to look at the 50 yr shingles.

We do many houses on the shores of lake Michigan, we get very high winds here also, I have never had a Certainteed shingle blow off, ever…
We always 5 nail them and I require my men to nail in the laminated part of the shingle, the “high nailing area” is unacceptable and IMO should be phased out.

If cost is a large factor look into 30 yr Certainteed’s, or 30 yr Owens Corning Durations, they will stay on the roof well past 70 mph if nailed correctly.
The Owens Corning Durations carry a 110 mph warranty but in the past Owens Corning has had problems with quality control.
Durations are a new line from Owens Corning and they appear to be vastly improved over previous lines.

The answer is yes, choose a heavier shingle for more wind resistance, or a higher quality brand.
IMO Certainteed products are superior to all others across all lines.
Nailing of the shingles is of paramount importance, let your roofer know that you would like your singles nailed in the laminant, not in the high nailing area.

Thanks for the response! I forgot to mention that the roofer is going to be using a 6-nail installation (many of the roofers here do that as standard practice).

The winds we get here might be 60-65 mph, and even then that’s only once or twice a year. It seems we get a bad windstorm every 10-20 years.

As for Pabco, according to this:

pabcoroofing.paccoast.com/defaul … MenuID=674

“In 1984, Pacific Coast Building Products purchased the West Coast manufacturing facilities of CertainTeed to begin PABCO Roofing…”

… so it may just be a west-coast thing (they are manufactured in Tacoma, which is close to us).

Carl

I was mistaken about the shingles; the 30-year ones have a 70-mph wind rating (just read the warranty on Pabco’s site). Not sure if the contractor told me that or I just got confused.

the biggest part of blow offs is due to installation errors. such as improper nail placement. the nails must be of the proper lenght and nailed in the designated spot. so tell him no “high nails”.

If nailed in the laminated section most 30 year shingles are good for up to 70 mph wind.

The Certainteed Landmark shingle has a 5 year 70 mph warranty. If six nails 80 mph.
The Landmark Plus (40 year) has a 5 year 80 mph warranty. If six nails 90 mph.

Certainteed Landmark Premium (50 year) has a 10 year 90 mph warranty. If six nails 110 mph.

A year ago Certainteed felt so confident with the new 3M tar technology that it warranted it’s shingles to be nailed above the laminte section but enough so it penetrated the shingle below it (between the middle line and top line). This new feature gave Certainteed rights to have the largest nail area in a laminte shingle. Certainteed mentions common bond area when the six nails and extra wind warranty come into play.

Is the common bond area the laminate?

If Certainteed allowed six nails above the laminate to be permitted in the extra warranty I would think four nails in the double section would be better.

Had a couple blow offs in a couple hundred roofs with the Landmarks before they put the tar on the bottom side. One blow off was on a barn were the section with damage was between 18/12-24/12. The other blow off was on a roof over on a 200ft bluff on the Mississippi.

Done over 200 roofs with the Landmarks since the new tar design with no blow offs.

Hello,

I live in Alaska and have installed Pabcos. I do not like them that much. I prefer to use the Legacys from Malarkey. You should look into them as they are an SBS modified shingle and are rated to 110 mph winds.
I personally have seen them stand up to 90+mph winds that we get off the Chugach Mountains in the spring and the fall. They are also manufactured in the Pacific Northwest so they should be readily available.

Keith

If you’re getting a new roof this time of year then chances are the shingles won’t get warm enough to “self-seal” until next spring/summer. If you have high wind problems you may want to ask the roofer about hand sealing them with 2-3 dime sized dots of tar per shingle spaced evenly at the nail line. Just an option.

Hello,
I agree with Tar. Malarkey(if you use them) requires hand tabbing if it is colder than a certain degree. I am not sure what that temp. is though.

Keith

Unfortunately, I already signed the contract… the only question at this point was to go with 30 or 40 year shingles. Guess I should have posted before signing the contract. :shock:

Well, I’ve decided to go with the 40-year shingles. Thanks everyone for the input! I’ll look into the sealing issue.