30 vs 40 vs 50

so i’m looking at some owens corning samples mounted on a display board, and I must say i cannot see any difference. now maybe if I could feel them the difference would be obvious, but to a casual observation not so. So is there a large difference or is it like down at the local muffler shop where the guy says - do you want the 1 year muffler, or the lifetime warranty muffler? I say what’s the difference? he says, the box(has the warranty coupon), and the price.

There is definitely a difference. The 40’s and 50’s come 4 bundles per square as opposed to 3 bundles per square for the 30’s. They are a lot thicker. You can see the difference in color variation from the road and the depth of color. I can also tell the difference when I walk on them. I went with desert tan. It doesn’t look that good as a 30 but a 40 and 50 look really good.

I ended up putting the Owens Corning Duration Premium shingle on my home (50 year) and I can definitely tell a difference from my neighbors 30 year shingles. They are thicker as ‘bread and butter’ stated but the more important feature to me was the bolder shadow lines (driftwood color) - looks much nicer on a completed roof! looks more like a true cedar shake! Many roofers will argue to only go with a 50 year shingle for appearance - i did it and am much happier! I also went with 30# felt that some will also say is foolish! - this fool is happy though! Whats another few hundred bucks for a roof that should last many many years!

Rock on my brothers!

[quote=“shinglehitter”]I ended up putting the Owens Corning Duration Premium shingle on my home (50 year) and I can definitely tell a difference from my neighbors 30 year shingles. They are thicker as ‘bread and butter’ stated but the more important feature to me was the bolder shadow lines (driftwood color) - looks much nicer on a completed roof! looks more like a true cedar shake! Many roofers will argue to only go with a 50 year shingle for appearance - i did it and am much happier! I also went with 30# felt that some will also say is foolish! - this fool is happy though! Whats another few hundred bucks for a roof that should last many many years!

Rock on my brothers![/quote]

try roof top guard felt paper then tell me how much you like your #30 felt. Grab a piece of roof guard and try to rip it… you can’t it’s five interwound layers of material. your #30 pound may condensate under certain conditions. As far as 40 or 50 yr shingles there good for looks but that’s about it. You won’t see much more life out of them than 30 yr shingles. reason being is asphalt gets hot and soft and contours to the decking. So therefore it finds and sinks into every little nook and cranny. Then they split and lose granules. The average asphalt roof lasts about 20yrs or so. Try stone coated metal it’s rigid and is a lifetime roof. Not to mention it’s depth, character, shadow lines, and 3d look.

thanks for the replies. as I expect nothing in terms of warranty coverage, it’s nice to know that there is a physical difference in the product. I wonder how long these will actually last? it’s not like anyone has had a laminate shingle in service for 50 years or a lifetime.

i have however torn off 40 year old 3 tabs on many occasions. they did look every day of it but were still holding up.