2 man crew

hello all fellow roofers out there! and happy fathers day to all you who have youngsters.
my question is: my boss and i are basically roofing by ourselves. the last job we finished took us 4 and a half days. it was a 2 story house. 3 layer rip. 5 decks, between 3 and 6 / 12 pitch. reapply 20 square of archetectual. we kept the job site totally clean. nothing was broke. customer real happy. gave us a referral. is that good for 2 guys?

sounds good to me.

gweedo.

Did a lot of jobs with only one helper over the years. When the work load was limited to only so many jobs could get away with spending 2-3 days on tear offs. Did a few 30sq tear offs with one helper in two days.

Now we do most in a day and large tear offs in a day in a half or two.

If the two installers are top quality you are two steps ahead of the rest.

[quote=“dougger222”]Did a lot of jobs with only one helper over the years. When the work load was limited to only so many jobs could get away with spending 2-3 days on tear offs. Did a few 30sq tear offs with one helper in two days.

Now we do most in a day and large tear offs in a day in a half or two.

If the two installers are top quality you are two steps ahead of the rest.[/quote]

I’ve seen a crew of 6 do a 30sq tear off in 3 & 1/2 hours!!!

Fact is, it all depends on the workers.

I, along with my 60 year old father and our 40 year old helper (I was about 30 at the time) knocked out a 24sq re-roof in 6 hours by hand with me bringing up all the material for me and my Dad.

Then there have been times that I’ve had a crew of 4 and could barely get on 8 squares in a full day.

There was a roof I just did with a supposed “mechanic” who knew it all.
The sap could’nt even open up a can of tar.
Needless to say, that was a very bad day for me.

The next day, I went and layed out more material in 1 1/2 hours than we layed (with a helper) in 1/2 a day).

I’d rather have one good helper who didn’t know what he was doing but that just did what I told him to do than an incompentent crew…the mistakes multiply when you have two or more workers who don’t know what their doing and you can’t keep your eye on them.

[quote=“2ndGen”]Fact is, it all depends on the workers.

I, along with my 60 year old father and our 40 year old helper (I was about 30 at the time) knocked out a 24sq re-roof in 6 hours by hand with me bringing up all the material for me and my Dad.

Then there have been times that I’ve had a crew of 4 and could barely get on 8 squares in a full day.

There was a roof I just did with a supposed “mechanic” who knew it all.
The sap could’nt even open up a can of tar.
Needless to say, that was a very bad day for me.

The next day, I went and layed out more material in 1 1/2 hours than we layed (with a helper) in 1/2 a day).
I’d rather have one good helper who didn’t know what he was doing but that just did what I told him to do than an incompentent crew…the mistakes multiply when you have two or more workers who don’t know what their doing and you can’t keep your eye on them.**[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth.

To the OP:
It sounds like you guys did pretty good to me.
Some roofs are stubborn and just don’t want to come off, others you can rip off with your hands.
They are all different, some of the easy ones are harder than they should be…
If you made money and put on a good roof it don’t matter how long it took.
It will be there performing for many years, it is worth the extra time to do it right.

[quote=“mikepowers”]hello all fellow roofers out there!

is that good for 2 guys?[/quote]

Did you make a profit?

Will the roof last he length of its warranty with proper specifications being installed?

If so, then you did very good on both accounts.

Ed

That’s always the dilema for me…

-a crew doing a tear-off making less per week with far less liability potential?

-or focusing on repair work where I only need “me” and possibly a helper making more money per hour with minimal paperwork, insurance needs, overhead, etc…?

In/out, collect that cash/check, thank you mam!

:mrgreen:

I remember when i first started, just me and my brother in law. 4 days for 30 squares. Those were long days let me tell you. I only shingled he just helped me.

When I found myself doing 50 square jobs by myself with a helper for materials, I knew things had to change.

Sure their great when work is slow, but there really should be a mechanic, a roofer and a helper on a job. One guy running the details and one guy handling the field work and the other feeding both the others.